Located on 44 acres in Cortland, NY sits the 162-year-old Cortland Rural Cemetery. The cemetery was established in 1853 and is home to over 19,000 graves. There are also multiple historic building on the grounds.
In the summer of 2015, the cemetery opened a “cemetrail” that features 20 interpretive signs throughout the grounds as well as tree markers. The self-guided tour provides educational insights on some of the cemetery’s noteworthy burials, history and operations. The signs were developed in cooperation with the students and faculty from SUNY Cortland.